Matjaž Rakovec, mayor
Matjaž Rakovec was born on 2 September 1964 in Kranj to mother Ana and father Marijan. He attended the France Prešeren Primary School in Kranj and then the Kranj High School. He graduated from the Faculty of Economics at the University of Ljubljana.
He is known mainly for his wealth of experience in the worlds of sport and commerce.
As member of the Triglav Club from Kranj, he played in the Yugoslavian water polo league.
Later, he was also president of the Water Polo Clubs Association of Slovenia and led the national team to the European Championship in 2006. He is now serving his third consecutive term in office as the president of the Ice Hockey Federation of Slovenia. He took the Slovenian team, the Risi - the Lynx, to the Winter Olympic Games twice.
He worked at the Zavarovalnica Triglav insurance company for a total of 19 years. During his term as Chairman of the Board from 2009 to 2013, he drove company profits to new record highs and also received the Financial Expert of the Year award twice. He headed the Triglav Group, whose parent company is Zavarovalnica Triglav and employs over 5500 people in six countries, for several years. In his professional career he has also held many other positions, such as advisor to the Management Board of Mercator and Managing Director of Studio Moderna.
In his leisure time he enjoys playing sports, travelling and attending sports events.
Despite his acclaim, Matjaž Rakovec remains down to earth and accessible to people. He is a father and husband who believes that we all need an environment that offers us opportunities to develop, allows us to feel satisfied with our personal lives and gives us as much free time as possible. He wants to restore Kranj’s reputation of a strong and reputable regional hub. He believes that the greatest asset of Kranj is its people and who need to be given the opportunity to live and work in Kranj.
He says about himself, “I always strive to do the best I can. My secret to success is to do work that makes you happy for most of the time, surround yourself with the right people and encourage constructive criticism within your team.”
The mayor carries out the following tasks:
• presents and represents the municipality,
• represents the council, assembles it and chairs the council meetings,
• puts forward proposals to the council regarding the adoption of the municipal budget and the final account of the budget, ordinances and other acts within the competence of the council, and is responsible for implementing the decisions of the council,
• is in charge of implementing the council's decisions,
• is in charge for the correctness of publications in the statute, as well as that of the rules of procedure, ordinances and other acts,
• supervises and directs the work of the municipal administration,
• appoints and relieves the managing director of the municipality's council and appoints the heads of internal organisational units,
• can form temporary committees for individual areas of his competence,
• carries out other functions determined by law and this statute,
• decides on the acquisition and disposal of municipal moveable property, as well as the acquisition of real estate up to the value of €5,000 in each individual case.
• adopts emergency response plans,
• is head of protection, rescue, and relief,
• adopts temporary emergency measures in the event of conditions that could endanger the lives and property of citizens on a large scale, in the event the council cannot convene in a timely manner,
• adopts acts and measures during war time, if the council cannot hold a meeting,
• carries out other tasks determined by law.